OUR MISSION: To enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
TITLE: Youth Development Professional (YDP)
REPORTS TO: Unit/Site/Clubhouse Director
JOB SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Site Supervisor or his/her designees, a YDP plans, implements, and supervises programs and activities in structured, specialized program spaces. Specialized content areas include: Education, Social Recreation, Cultural Arts, Sports & Fitness, Outdoor Recreation, and STEM.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Prepare Youth for Success
- Promote program participation.
- Provide guidance and role modeling to youth.
- Provide a safe environment through clear rules and expectations.
- Provide homework assistance and high yield fun learning activities during Power Hour.
Program Development and Implementation
- Plan/develop and implement age appropriate activities for youth.
- Ensure safety of members, quality programs and clean appearance of the Club at all times.
Supervision & Safety
- Ensure a productive and collaborative work environment by participating in planned staff meetings and training.
- Inspect program areas daily or any safety precautions prior to youth entering area.
- Monitor youth while in unstructured program areas.
- May organize and/or participate In special events.
- Demonstrate a high standard of professionalism, effective communication, personal motivation, and interpersonal skills with members, peers, supervisors, parents, volunteers and the general public.
- Other duties as assigned.
Internal: Maintains close, daily contact with Club staff (professional and volunteer), Club youth, and supervisor to receive/provide information, discuss issues, explain guidelines and instructions; instruct; and advise/counsel.
External: Support external contact as instructed with community groups, schools, member’s parents, public stakeholders and others as directed by supervisor. Maintain a good reputation and moral conduct outside of work, in the community and on social media networks.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
This position may involve lifting, bending, standing, walking, sitting, talking, hearing, reaching, and grasping. Must be able to demonstrate and/or describe activities to youth. This position works around youth and adults with moderate exposure to noise. This position will work both indoors and outdoors.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- High school diploma or GED, some higher education strongly preferred.
- Must pass National Criminal Background Check and OCFS Clearance.
- Experience in working with youth, experience with groups of youth preferred.
- Knowledge of youth development.
- Ability to motivate youth, manage behavior problems, and keep youth engaged in activities.
- Ability to be consistent and encourage honesty, responsibility, fairness, sportsmanship and respect for all involved.
- Ability to organize and supervise members in a safe environment.
- Ability to plan and implement quality programs for groups of youth.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt in a work environment that changes often.
- CPR and First AID Certifications preferred, required within 6 months of hired date.
All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
As the direct representative of the Boys and Girls Club of New Rochelle, it is important that you carry yourself in a professional manner. Your mannerisms, conversations and dress must professional and appropriate. During hours of operations, all personal items (jackets, coats, bags, phone) must be left in a secure area designated for staff by the Site Supervisor. If you are going to be late notification must be given to your supervisor at least 2-3 hours in advance.